help-vcdimager

Re: [VCDImager] VCD Chapters

From: Andrea Gimignani
Subject: Re: [VCDImager] VCD Chapters
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 22:41:55 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Herbert Valerio Riedel" <address@hidden>
To: "Andrea Gimignani" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Monday, July 23, 2001 12:22 PM

> You've hit a known problem with hardware implementations...
>
> first of all, the way you have designed the playlists won't work the way
> you expect them to work...
>
> On Sun, 22 Jul 2001, Andrea Gimignani wrote:
>
> > Hi all! I've got a big mpeg file (PAL VCD compliant) to divide in
> > chapters (like a DVD).
>
> > I've created the attached XML, but it's not what I want.
> ...but it does what you have written :-)

I know... I tried also with a single playlist, or with no PBC (like in
videocd_3.xml example, but they don't work too...)

<CUT SPECS & Co...>

> > There is a way to get chaptered movie just like DVDs?!?
> ...If you have a conforming (S)VCD player implementation, you would have
> just to define one playlist referencing the whole sequence item;

<CUT SPECS>

> but sadly, only a few DVD players honor it this way... (I've been
> only reported that philips players do...)

So the problem is only the hw/sw decoder?
The compliant (but not working !^_^) way is to define the entry points and
then a single playlist with only the main sequence item? I will do this way!

> but well, there are possible workarounds/hacks to emulate the next/prev
> chapter functions... you'll have to abuse selection lists for that;
> by taking advantage of the timeout target, you can keep the list from
> jumping to the next target, like it would for playlists;
> and you can define numbers for direct jumping to chapters by entering the
> absolute number...

I have to think about this...

Thank you very much!!!

Andrea