help-zile

Re: [zile-devel] [Fwd: Zile on 9500]

From: Reuben Thomas
Subject: Re: [zile-devel] [Fwd: Zile on 9500]
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 20:31:10 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

Sandro followed your enquiry about Zile on Symbian to the developers' list. The latest version of Zile (both stable 2.0.7 and development 2.2beta1) run on EPOC (effectively Symbian 5). The bad news is that they do this thanks to epocemx (epocemx.sourceforge.net) which provides emulation of sufficient Unix-isms (such as termios) to get a termcap-like back-end working, using code from eemacs (eemacs.sourceforge.net, which might be another option).

The other problem would be working with wide characters, if that were necessary, though my limited experience porting software to Symbian suggests that if you're only interested in 8-bit text you can just use char and it works fine.

hope that helps,

Reuben

P.S. I have no plans to make a Symbian port (and I'm currently the only active maintainer of Zile), simply because I don't use Symbian devices. I still use a Psion Revo as my PDA. However, a port would be most welcome, and eventually it's not unlikely I'll make one myself, as ending up with a Symbian device at some point seems to be fairly likely.

--
http://rrt.sc3d.org/ | Floc: an egregiously good aperitif