help-zile

[zile-devel] Questionnaire for Zile

From: Reuben Thomas
Subject: [zile-devel] Questionnaire for Zile
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 23:43:37 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

It has been brought to my attention that I (current maintainer of Zile) need to fill in this questionnaire (I've started the FSF copyright assignment process for Zile and been told that it is currently on hold while I apply for Zile to be accepted as a GNU package).

Zile Is Lossy Emacs: it's an Emacs clone designed for small-footprint use, being more portable and much smaller than Emacs.

* General Information
** Do you agree to follow GNU policies?

Yes.

** Package name and version:

Zile 2.2.57 (unreleased; current version is 2.2.56, but it is not compliant with some of the GNU guidelines, so I'm currently modifying the code to ensure that it is).

** Author Full Name <Email>:

Reuben Rhys Thomas <address@hidden>

** URL to home page (if any):

http://rrt.sc3d.org/

** URL to sources (if any):

http://sourceforge.net/projects/zile/

** Brief description of the package:

Zile is a small, fast, and powerful Emacs clone. It is useful for small footprint installations (e.g. on floppy disk), machines with little memory, or quick editing sessions, especially on remote machines or as a different user, e.g. root.

* Code
** Dependencies:

C, POSIX, ncurses.

** Configuration & compilation:

GNU autotools.

** Documentation:

TeXInfo, man.

* Licensing:

GPL for source code, GFDL for TeXInfo documentation, all-permissive for some trivial scripts and text files.

* Similar projects:

Emacs (differences already explained); mg (similar, not a GNU program, has a different feature set, aimed more at self-sufficiency, e.g. supporting compile and dired, but without some of the text editing features that Zile possesses; not 100% Emacs compatible).

* Any other information, comments, or questions:

None.