human-beings-discuss

How to contribute [was: Re: [Human-beings-discuss] plop]

From: Guillaume Cottenceau
Subject: How to contribute [was: Re: [Human-beings-discuss] plop]
Date: 12 Mar 2002 23:10:21 +0100

dams <address@hidden> writes:

> First of all, maybe gc could intriduce his vision of the way we will work on
> the stuff, and first of all, how we should pre-think the concepts of the game.

I think that the first but hardest part of the project is to
"pre-think" the concepts of the game and write them with a rather
good precision, so that implementation is, afterwards, pretty
straightforward (thus possibly distributed among other
programmers than me).

First, probably people need to basically agree with what I want
to do, e.g. read the current Mission Statements, as published
here:

http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/human-beings/mission_statements.html

I can paraphrase the axioms that way: I'd like to build a mix
between Civilization (technical/political/social evolution,
management of your race as a "whole"), StarCraft (realtime well
balanced interesting fights), and SimCity (your city doesn't
progress well if it's not well organized).

Thus, we need to write down in what way HB will inherit from Civ
and SimCity. I think that if we want to have nice realtime fights
like in StarCraft, it needs to be slightly simpler than Civ as a
whole, and SimCity as a whole.

So, people willing to contribute may for example:

- comment this mail

- comment/extend the Mission Statements

- provide new ideas

We can also begin to talk about technical choices, mainly which
programming language we'll use, even if implementation can't come
before concepts of the game are not written (at least partly).

--
Guillaume Cottenceau - http://www.frozen-bubble.org/