hurd-devel

Re: glibc-2.2.5 patches (was Re: ioperm)

From: Gord Eagle
Subject: Re: glibc-2.2.5 patches (was Re: ioperm)
Date: 01 May 2002 14:50:41 -0600

Marcus Brinkmann <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 01:50:07PM -0700, Jeff Bailey wrote:
> > I'll ask BenC if he knows who requested it be put in (I asked Marcus,
> > and it's been there since before he got really involved).  I won't
> > have time to test the no /include case for a few days.
> >

> Actually, I think I remember it was from Gordon Matzigkeit, but
> I never asked him why it is there.  He was taking care of glibc
> packaging as well as you do now, so I did not follow it much.

Yeah, I was going to say that it was probably me.

As far as I can recall, the patch was for cheap cross-compilation from
Linux.  IIRC, the Linux crti.o and crtn.o got linked into the
resulting libraries.  Libc itself already had protection, but the Hurd
libraries did not.

Again, sorry that I can't remember the details, but I suspect that if
you try building on Linux from scratch using the
`make-cross'-generated compiler, you'll likely run into the same
problem.

--
Gord Eagle <address@hidden> /\//\ I'm a FIG (http://fig.org/)
   Committed to diversity \//\/ I use GNU (http://fig.org/gnu/)