hydra-users

Re: [bug-inetutils] netstat

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: [bug-inetutils] netstat
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2011 14:16:46 -0500

   >>> What is the content of /etc/nsswitch.conf on the Hydra build servers?
   >>>
   >>> I wonder what glibc does if there is no /etc/nsswitch.conf at all, which
   >>> may be the situation on the build servers.
   >>
   >> Yes, that's the case for the Linux builds.  They're in a chroot that
   >> has a extremely miminal /etc (currently, just /etc/passwd and
   >> /etc/group with entries for the build uid/gid, and /etc/hosts with an
   >> entry for localhost).
   >
   > What does getservbyname ("ftp", "tcp") return?  If it returns NULL, we
   > need to deal with it, but if it hangs or takes a lot of time to timeout
   > you may want to have a small /etc/nsswitch.conf or similar.

   There’s no /etc/{services,protocols,resolv.conf} in the chroot.
   Thus tests cannot rely on name resolution, getservbyname, etc.
   Instead, they should use numeric values, like 127.0.0.1:21.  (I’ve
   found it to be an acceptable workaround in practice.)

This is not an acceptable fix, it is completely valid, and a must, to
test non-numeric values for hostnames and/or protocols.  The problem
is that NixOS is misconfigured, and the proper fix is to fix how you
create chroots; either by adding those files or tweaking nsswitch.con.

We can try and help you fixing it on your side, but it won't be fixed
in inetutils since it isn't where the problem is, sorry.