ifile-dev

[Ifile-dev] Valgrind isn't fond of ifile...

From: Paul Chambers
Subject: [Ifile-dev] Valgrind isn't fond of ifile...
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 17:35:29 -0800

I had a little spare time, so I thought I'd see if valgrind could help
point a finger at the suspected memory leak. Unfortunately it didn't
help immediately, picking on a couple of conditional statements it
considered to be based on uninitialized data - which may or may not be
true, both places were deep in unfamiliar code, and I didn't have time
to go digging.

I've used valgrind to good effect in the past, but this is the first
time I've used it on someone else's code :)

> Would it be very difficult to write a (e.g. perl) script that
> does the work using the current ifile interface?

Probably not, if I were familiar with perl. One of those things I've
been meaning to make time to learn. As it was, it took less time to add
C code to ifile to do what I was looking to achieve than I'd spent
trying to get the shell quoting to behave...

> Might also be helpful for you to e-mail to the list a description
> of your set-up---where and how messages are stored.

Pretty standard setup: postfix, maildrop and courier-imap. Mail is
delivered to maildirs, rooted at ~user/Maildir. I have a few manual
rules implemented in maildrop's filtering language, that make use of a
couple of databases to route by sender or recipient address. I also have
SpamAssassin in the loop (or rather spamc/spamd, the daemonized
version), which is invoked via maildrop's external filter support. The
list of maildirs is:

.Archive/
.Archive.ARM Computer/
.Archive.D-Link/
.Archive.Flashpoint/
.Archive.Flashpoint.Broadcasts/
.Archive.Flashpoint.Build-related/
.Archive.Flashpoint.Build-related.Draco/
.Archive.Flashpoint.Build-related.Silverango/
.Archive.Flashpoint.Lyris/
.Archive.Lists/
.Archive.Lists.AVS Forum/
.Archive.Lists.Doc++/
.Archive.Lists.I2C Interface/
.Archive.Lists.Slink-e/
.Archive.Lists.TiVo/
.Archive.Lists.Versions/
.Archive.Lists.redhat/
.Archive.News/
.Archive.Personal/
.Archive.ROXIO/
.Archive.Slink-e/
.Archive.TiVo/
.Archive.TiVo.Mailing Lists/
.Archive.TiVo.Mailing Lists.All/
.Archive.TiVo.Mailing Lists.Bugs/
.Archive.TiVo.Mailing Lists.Engr/
.Archive.TiVo.Mailing Lists.Hardware/
.Archive.TiVo.Mailing Lists.Software/
.Archive.TiVo.Mailing Lists.bounces/
.Archive.TiVo.Meetings/
.Archive.TiVo.MoJo/
.Archive.TiVo.Out of Office/
.Archive.TiVo.Two Way TV/
.Archive.TiVo.Win2K problem/
.Companies/
.Companies.Angel/
.Companies.Apple/
.Companies.Celestix/
.Companies.Lexicon/
.Companies.LinkAlarm/
.Companies.Replay/
.Companies.eRemote/
.Domain/
.Domain.Abuse/
.Domain.Colo/
.Domain.Done/
.Domain.Mis-addressed/
.Domain.Server/
.Domain.Service Provider/
.Domain.To Do/
.Drafts/
.Junk/
.Junk.false positive/
.Junk.missed/
.Lists/
.Lists.AVS Forum/
.Lists.Apple News/
.Lists.CNET/
.Lists.Comics/
.Lists.Commercial/
.Lists.DSL/
.Lists.Development/
.Lists.Flashpoint Alumni/
.Lists.Home Automation/
.Lists.Hotspot/
.Lists.I2C Interface/
.Lists.Jukeboxes/
.Lists.Music/
.Lists.Photo/
.Lists.RMS/
.Lists.SFHTPC/
.Lists.SMR Forums/
.Lists.Security/
.Lists.Silent PC/
.Lists.Versions/
.Lists.YAAF/
.Lists.redhat/
.News/
.Personal/
.Personal.Financial/
.Personal.Humor/
.Personal.Orders/
.Personal.Subscriptions/
.Personal.Support/
.Personal.Travel/
.Professional/
.Professional.Employment/
.Sent/
.Sent Items/
.Trash/

Everything under 'Archive' wouldn't be indexed by ifile, it's just
historical email and mail is never delivered there. Nor would I index
the 'drafts', 'sent' and 'trash' maildirs.

This structure does periodically change, as stuff is 'retired' to the
archive, or I get interested in something new and add a list or two to
the mix. I've been meaning to set up an automatic archiving script to
move messages older than some age over to the archive, too (something
else on that long 'todo' list).

Initially I plan to integrate ifile using maildrop to route mail, and a
cron job to update indexes. In the long term, I've been thinking it'd be
neat to add a hook to Courier-IMAP so it can notify external apps of a
message being moved between maildirs. Alternatively, I could write
something that used FAM to monitor the maildirs, but that seems less
elegant somehow.

Happy Holidays,

Paul