ifile-discuss

Re: [Ifile-discuss] How much does reindexing a message affect filtering?

From: Jason Rennie
Subject: Re: [Ifile-discuss] How much does reindexing a message affect filtering?
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 09:03:56 -0500

address@hidden said:
> The disadvantage is that a specific message may be added to the index
> many times[4]. Does any one have any advices on what effect this may
> have on ifile's efficiency? If it's a really bad idea I can code
> around it.

I wouldn't recommend it in general.  I've heard reports of it (inserting a
message multiple times) being helpful in specific cases (e.g. spam that
you are likely to see again).  But, the technique can also hurt by
artificially inflating word statistics.  If it's being done in moderation
(no message inserted more than 2-3 times) and evenly (no folder left out),
it may not have much of an effect, but the results could be quite
disastrous if you take it to an extreme.

Best is probably to run your own tests and keep an eye out for weird
behavior.

Jason D. M. Rennie
MIT AI Lab
address@hidden