ifile-discuss

[Ifile-discuss] Adding a "plugin" parser to ifile

From: Booker Bense
Subject: [Ifile-discuss] Adding a "plugin" parser to ifile
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 08:36:52 -0800 (PST)

- I've been messing about with various ifile options
"-h -w -k"[1] and I'm coming to the conclusion that it
would be quite useful to customize the parser for
ifile. While you can do this in front of ifile,
I think as a first pass it would be convient to
provide a "subprocess parser".

- I've poked around in the code and this doesn't
seem too awful implement. Of course you need to be quite
cautious reading raw crap from the net, but it
seems like this could be a powerful tool for improving
Ifile's accuracy.

- 95% of the time I'm finding ifile incredibly useful,
the other 5% is driving me crazy. Looking through 30
email folders for my wife's most recent email is not
improving my email experience. While I can fix this
in front of ifile, I think it would be generally useful
to do it within the structure of ifile. For example,
if email is from my wife, just return my wife's address.
and ignore the rest of the content.

- While this will probably slow ifile down, I'm much
more concerned with improving accuracy, not speed.

- Booker C. Bense

[1]- A 5 megabyte .idata file seems a bit much.