Re: [igraph] help need for the fast community detection algorithm

From: Csardi Gabor
Subject: Re: [igraph] help need for the fast community detection algorithm
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 11:57:32 +0200

Jiang,

(hope this is your first name), so it is not clear for me what you
want to do with the code you've sent.

Some points:
1) 'igraph_modularity' does not do any community detection, it just
calculates the modularity scores for a given community structure.
You supply the community structure in the 'type' argument, but in your
case that is all zero, so every vertex is in the same community. The
modularity of this configuration is zero i guess, although i haven't
check the definition lately.

2) you need to call 'igraph_community_fastgreedy' to do actual community
detection.

3) it seems that indeed there are some problems with
igraph_community_fastgreedy, this was found shortly before your email.
We will write to the mailing list as soon as we've found out what the
problem is.

Other, not closely related tips:

4) instead of giving the 'edges' vector you can use 'igraph_small',
that is a more compact notation to give small graphs.

5) Please consider joining the mailing list. Otherwise i need to
acknowledge your emails by hand and that requires a day or two, maybe
even more if i'm offline.