Re: [igraph] Question about mincut implementation

From: Gabor Csardi
Subject: Re: [igraph] Question about mincut implementation
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 11:56:21 +0100

Thomas,

ok, some clarification.

igraph_st_mincut_value
  gives you the value of the minimum s-t cut, works both for
  directed and undirected graphs

igraph_mincut_value
  gives the value of the minimum cut (aming all pairs of vertices),
  it works both for directed and undirected graphs

igraph_mincut
  gives the minimum cut itself (not just the value),
  i.e. the minimum among all pairs of vertices, but it works
  only for undirected graphs currently, the directed version
  is not implemented.

Some of these functions are implemented via a push-relabel
maximum flow calculation: igraph_st_mincut_value (both for
directed and undirecte), igraph_mincut_value (only for directed).

Others use an implementation of the Stoer-Wagner algorithm:
igraph_mincut_value and igraph_mincut, both for undirected graphs.

What is missing from igraph currently is:

igraph_st_mincut
  this would give the actual minimum s-t cut (not just the value),
  between a source and a target vertex. The igraph_maxflow_value
  function should be modified to calculate it, it is not trivial,
  see the Cherkassky-Goldberg paper in the code/docs. This algorithm
  works for directed graphs, but an undirected graph can be easily
  converted to a directed one, just like it is done in
  igraph_i_maxflow_value_undirected.

igraph_mincut implementation for directed graphs
  the easiest way to implement this would be to just call
  igraph_st_mincut for all pairs of vertices, but there might be
  a simpler algorithm.

Other algorithms could be useful for calculating _all_ minimum
(s-t or not s-t) cuts.

Hope it is clear now. Unfortunately it seems that you're looking
for something (minimum s-t cut in undirected graphs), that is
not implemented yet.

Gabor

ps. it is ok if you don't subscribe the list, but then
please consider that 1) your messages will be delayed,
i need to acknowledge them by hand to avoid spam and
2) you might miss some answers that are sent to the list
only.