Re: [igraph] problems with large graphs

From: Tamas Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] problems with large graphs
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2008 22:30:59 +0100

Hi,

Erdos-Reyni graphs with many vertices [...]
This seems to happen for various values of m between 0 and n^2 for any n > 249,553
Thanks for reporting that, this is a simple overflow error and it is easy to be fixed. In src/graphobject.c in the source of the Python interface, locate the following line in igraphmodule_Graph_Erdos_Renyi():

if (m < 0 || m > n*n) {

and replace it with this one:

if (m < 0 || ((double)m)/n > n) {

Actually, I think the whole error checking code in this function is not necessary, since the parameters are checked once again in the C library, but I'll leave it there as is anyway.

I am running across out of memory errors and segfaults using similarity_inverse_log_weighted() in working with my dataset (~350k nodes, ~4.5m edges). For my graph and randomly generated graphs of this size, Jaccard and Dice seem to work just fine. Here is a reproducible example of my problem:
Thanks, I'll dig deeper into that soon.