Re: [igraph] centralization again

From: Gábor Csárdi
Subject: Re: [igraph] centralization again
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 23:47:15 +0100

Well, we will sort this centralization out, sooner of later.... I
think it is just a question of definition. Your definition is fine for
undirected graphs, among these the most centralized (according to
degree) is the star.

This one is a directed graph, however, so you probably want to count
the incoming connections only. (Or maybe not? Again, a question of
definition.) If you want to count the incoming edges for directed
graphs, then the definition reads as

centralization <- function(g)
(sum(max(degree(g,mode="in"))-degree(g,mode="in")))/(vcount(g)-1)/(vcount(g)-2)

If you want to count all edges, incoming and outgoing as well, then it is

centralization <- function(g)
(sum(max(degree(g))-degree(g)))/(2*vcount(g)-2)/(vcount(g)-2)

Here we assume that there are at most two edges between a pair of
vertices, at most one each direction. For graphs with multiple edges
this definition fails as well.

Does this make sense?
Gabor