Re: [igraph] Python igraph Documentation and Examples

From: Tamas Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] Python igraph Documentation and Examples
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 11:12:49 +0000

Dear Lorenzo,

(1) Generate a graph with a given distribution of degrees P(k)
This should be something like:

degrees = [your list of degrees for each vertex]
g = Graph.Degree_Sequence(degrees, method="vl")

Note that degdist contains the actual degrees, not the distribution, so you will have to generate the appropriate list of degrees (and hope that it's realizable). method="vl" generates simple graphs with the method of Viger and Latapy, but it takes more time. method="simple" is a much simpler method that does not guarantee that you won't get multiple edges.

(2) See what happens if for instance I disconnect certain components of a graph
You can remove edges and nodes by g.delete_edges() and g.delete_vertices() if g is a Graph object. Just remove them and recalculate your measures, whatever they are.

(3) Calculate the minimum distance between some edges
Well, if those edges are A-B and C-D, calculate the minimum distance between A-C, A-D, B-C and B-D and take the minimum of them. Distance calculations can be done by Graph.shortest_paths(vs), where vs is a list of start vertices and it will return a list for each start vertex you gave, containing the shortest paths from that vertex to ALL other vertices.

Is there any place online where I can find them? In a sense, I am
looking for a Python igraph cookbook.
Once I came up with the idea of collecting igraph-related code snippets in snipplr.com, then I abandoned it thinking that there will be no real demand for that. So currently there's only one such snippet there:

http://snipplr.com/view/9914/calculating-assortativity-coefficient-in-igraph/

Anyway, seeing that the demand grows, I might be reconsidering the idea ;)

Last question: it seems to be that the documentation for the R igraph
package is more substantial (and also has more examples) than the one
for the python binding. Is there a reason for this?
Yes, sheer laziness on my side :( More precisely it's a general lack of spare time rather than laziness. The good news is that I plan to release a proper tutorial for igraph's Python interface after the Christmas holiday (assuming that I will have enough time to finish it during the holiday).