[igraph] Assign Weight to Link by Counting Repetitions

From: Lorenzo Isella
Subject: [igraph] Assign Weight to Link by Counting Repetitions
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 12:14:48 +0200

Dear All,
I often deal with graphs which are stored into files in the following form

174514432 95879170
78774272 78774272
74514432 95879170
78774272 78774272
74514432 95879170
78774272 78774272
74514432 95879170
78774272 78774272
74514432 95879170
78774272 78774272
74514432 95879170
78774272 78774272
74514432 95879170
78774272 78774272
74514432 95879170
78774272 78774272
74514432 95879170
78774272 78774272
74514432 95879170
78774272 78774272
74514432 95879170

Do not be afraid of the long numbers; they are simply node labels used to construct an adjacency list. Gabor pointed out that if these data are saved into graph_list_no_rep_dat, then I can read the graph as

tab <- read.table("graph_list_no_rep_dat")
g <- graph.data.frame(tab, dir=FALSE)
However, if you look at the graph above, you notice that some edges appear more than once and there are some self-loops. Without going into details, this happens since this is a network aggregated over time.
By doing something like

g<-simplify(g)

I have a nice and clean graph without self-loops and repeated edges. It is OK for me to get rid of self-loops, but my only problem is that I would like to keep the info about how many times each edge used to appear and I would like to store this info as a weight associated to the edge itself.
Any suggestions about how to achieve that efficiently?
Many thanks

Lorenzo