Re: [igraph] Representation of Bipartite Networks

From: Gábor Csárdi
Subject: Re: [igraph] Representation of Bipartite Networks
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2010 00:42:37 +0100

Lorenzo, I don't know what is recommended. We don't have any special
layout algorithms for bipartite networks, AFAIK.

Maybe it is possible to work out something meaningful using positive
and negative edge weights in the Fruchterman-Reingold algorithm. My
idea would be to create the union of the original and a full graph. In
the full graph, vertices of different type would repulse each other
(negative weight on the edge) and vertices of the same type would
attract each other. Whether this gives anything meaningful, I have no
idea.

Maybe it is enough to simply use different vertex shapes for both vertex types.