[igraph] edge attribute indexing in R

From: Michael Barnett
Subject: [igraph] edge attribute indexing in R
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 11:56:57 -0400

Hi igraph list,

New igraph list member here. I wanted to write to ask if anyone else has encountered this issue. I'm using R 2.10 in Mac OS 10.5.8. Whenever I try to index an igraph network object by an edge attribute, R is incredibly slow for the large-ish networks I'm working with, on the range of hundreds to thousands of nodes. I use the exact notation in the help file, typing for instance:

E(net)[ weight < 1.5]$weight

This code works for me when I make simple test networks, but not for the larger datasets I'm working with. R becomes slow enough that I have to force exit the program after becoming impatient after a few minutes. Has anyone else encountered this issue? Is this a known bug?

-Michael