[igraph] reading large, sparse graph with read.graph

From: David Hunkins
Subject: [igraph] reading large, sparse graph with read.graph
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 18:31:40 -0700

Hello, I am using igraph inside R, and reading a Pajek-formatted weighted, directed graph with read.graph. The graph I am trying to load is quite large (17 million vertices, and 28 million edges). It requires a long time simply to read the graph into memory. I would have thought that the time it would take read.graph to load into memory would be O(|V|+|E|). But it seems to be taking much longer, perhaps O(|V||E|). Why should it take so long? Is it significantly faster with any other format? (I don't use any attributes other than the weight.)

If it helps to answer, I am contemplating going outside R, and using the igraph library for Ruby (in alpha). Would graphs load significantly faster outside of R?

Thanks!

David Hunkins