Re: [igraph] iGraph Layout questions

From: Tamas Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] iGraph Layout questions
Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 22:08:04 +0100

Hi Mathias,

> I currently try to layout and visualize a telcommunications network with
> iGraph, but I have problems with the function settings. I am a beginner in
> graph layout and would need some help, which values to use in the functions.
>
> i.e.
> int igraph_layout_fruchterman_reingold(const igraph_t *graph, igraph_matrix_t
> *res,
[...]
I usually take a look at the documentation of the R or Python interfaces to get
an idea on the default values for the layout functions. E.g., for the
Fruchterman-Reingold layout, start here:

http://igraph.sourceforge.net/doc/R/layout.html

As for the matrix itself, feel free to construct an empty 0x0 matrix (i.e.
nrow=0 and ncol=0), igraph will resize the matrix appropriately to have 2
columns and as many rows as the number of vertices in your graph. Of course it
doesn't hurt if you construct your matrix that way, as you can save a resizing
operation.