Re: [igraph] Clustering coefficient vs. transitivity

From: Gábor Csárdi
Subject: Re: [igraph] Clustering coefficient vs. transitivity
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 23:31:09 +0200

Jonathan,

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 7:30 PM, Jonathan Donges
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Dear Tamas,
> Thanks for the quick answer! Was transitivity_avglocal_undirected there from
> the beginning (early 0.5) or was it added later?

It was added somewhere around igraph 0.3, to the C core. It was added
to the python interface in 0.5.2, according to
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~igraph/igraph/0.6-main/annotate/head:/interfaces/python/src/graphobject.c

> Was g.transitivity_undirected() referring to transitivity (Eq. 2.8) in all
> earlier versions, or might there have been a change at any time?

I doubt that there have been any change in this.

> Btw, I and my co-workers find the notation you use for the corresponding
> functions slightly misleading particularly for novices of network theory,
> since clustering coefficient is more commonly used for this measure.

As far as I know, this measure has been existed long before the term
"clustering coefficient" was coined, and it was already called
transitivity back then. This is the reason for the naming.