Re: [igraph] about degree.sequence.game and configuration model

From: Gábor Csárdi
Subject: Re: [igraph] about degree.sequence.game and configuration model
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 15:07:14 +0200

Hi,

from the documentation of that function:

     The “simple” method connects the out-stubs of the edges
     (undirected graphs) or the out-stubs and in-stubs (directed
     graphs) together. This way loop edges and also multiple edges may
     be generated.

     This method is not adequate if one needs to generate simple graphs
     with a given degree sequence. The multiple and loop edges can be
     deleted, but then the degree sequence is distorted and there is
     nothing to ensure that the graphs are sampled uniformly.

     THe “vl” method is a more sophisticated generator. The algorithm
     and the implementation was done by Fabien Viger and Matthieu
     Latapy. This generator always generates undirected, connected
     simple graphs, it is an error to pass the ‘in.deg’ argument to it.
     The algorithm relies on first creating an initial (possibly
     unconnected) simple undirected graph with the given degree
     sequence (if this is possible at all). Then some rewiring is done
     to make the graph connected. Finally a Monte-Carlo algorithm is
     used to randomize the graph. The “vl” samples from the undirected,
     connected simple graphs unformly. See <URL:
     http://www-rp.lip6.fr/~latapy/FV/generation.html> for details.

The "vl" method might be equivalent to the configuration model,
depending on whether that allows unconnected graphs or not.