Re: [igraph] graph.density => low, moderate and high value range

From: Tamás Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] graph.density => low, moderate and high value range
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 23:06:15 +0100

There is no such consideration for the density as it generally depends on the number of nodes in your network as well. For instance, consider a network with 1 million nodes. In a network like this, a "moderate" density of 0.25 would yield approximately 125 billion edges. So, as your network grows, your notion of a density being "low", "moderate" or "high" changes a lot.

I'd probably calculate the average degree in your network instead (i.e. the average number of connections a randomly selected node has in the network) - but you still have to come up with your own rough guidelines about what to consider a "low" average degree, a "moderate" or a "high" average degree. For instance, an average degree less than 1 would show that your network is not even fully connected (i.e. not every node can be reached from every other node).