[igraph] Evaluating the functional significance of greedy NG communities

From: Giuseppe G.
Subject: [igraph] Evaluating the functional significance of greedy NG communities in a network
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2012 12:49:02 +0200

Hi,

I realise this question does not strictly relate to the scope of this ML, however I was still hoping somebody could help me with this.

I have used greedy modularity maximisation to obtain a partition of communities for my protein network.

Separately, I have used a semantic based approach to detect the functional "relatedness" of each pair of proteins in the network. So for each pair of interactors in the net, I have a value from 0 to 1 telling me how close those two nodes are in terms of some metric of the annotation in Gene Ontology.

Now I would like to evaluate the significance of my communities from a functional point of view, using these scores.

Would it make sense to do the following: for each community, get all the functional scores for of all its interacting pairs. Then get the same number of interacting pairs observed in the community, but at random from the network. The run a Mann–Whitney U between the two vectors of scores.

Another option would maybe be to randomise x1000 times the original network (degree conserving), rerun the community finding and compare the distribution of some functional value for the random networks to the original net, and then get z-score. The problem is that I don't have a "summary" metric to compare to some null network models: I only have similarity scores for pairs of interactors.

Thanks

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.