Re: [igraph] community detection

From: Gábor Csárdi
Subject: Re: [igraph] community detection
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 15:23:08 -0400

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 2:44 PM, Sam Steingold <address@hidden> wrote:
[...]
> I understand that I have a peculiar need: I care more about speed,
> uniform size, and number of communities than about the modularity.
>
> Still, maybe you could suggest something?

Maybe you don't want community detection at all, but just some kind of
clustering with a given number of clusters. If you can define some
meaningful distance measure for the vertices, then you can run k-means
clustering.

Another option is to run the fast-greedy algorithm in igraph and cut
the merge dendrogram at the desired number of clusters. This does not
ensure equal cluster sizes, though.

Btw. if you don't care much about the graph structure in your division
(= you don't care about modularity), then why don't you just create
subgraphs of equal sizes?

G.

[...]

--