Re: [igraph] install w/anaconda?

From: Tamás Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] install w/anaconda?
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 22:20:57 +0200

> I apologize for the installation question, but I've been moving from platform
> to platform to keep customers happy. Getting Python (and packages) loaded on
> the various Windows platforms drove me to the edge of insanity. I'm back on a
> Mac and I thought things were going to be simpler. The particulars are:
> Python 2.7.5 (via anaconda), OS X 10.7.5 (Lion).  (Using the usual package
> installation route, I ran into scipy install problems no finding gfortran so
> I just went with Anaconda. )
Completely unrelated but now that you mentioned gfortran: I installed it from
Homebrew (http://brew.sh) and I've been using it ever since without problems --
I even compiled SciPy with it on my Mac.

> On the off-chance it will help, here is the output from running make on the
> C-library:
>
> rover:graph-0.6.5 drobin$ make
> …………… snip ….
> libigraph_la-igraph_fixed_vectorlist.lo libigraph_la-separators.lo
> libigraph_la-igraph_marked_queue.lo libigraph_la-igraph_estack.lo
> libigraph_la-st-cuts.lo libigraph_la-cohesive_blocks.lo
> libigraph_la-statusbar.lo libigraph_la-lapack.lo libigraph_la-complex.lo
> libigraph_la-eigen.lo libigraph_la-feedback_arc_set.lo
> libigraph_la-sugiyama.lo libigraph_la-glpk_support.lo
> libigraph_la-igraph_hrg_types.lo libigraph_la-igraph_hrg.lo
> libigraph_la-distances.lo libigraph_la-fortran_intrinsics.lo
> libigraph_la-matching.lo libigraph_la-scg.lo
> libigraph_la-scg_approximate_methods.lo libigraph_la-scg_exact_scg.lo
> libigraph_la-scg_kmeans.lo libigraph_la-scg_utils.lo
> libigraph_la-scg_optimal_method.lo libigraph_la-qsort.lo
> libigraph_la-qsort_r.lo libigraph_la-types.lo libigraph_la-hacks.lo  -lm
> -L/Users/drobin/anaconda/lib -lxml2 -lz -liconv -lm libf2c.la libblas.la
> liblapack.la libdlamch.la libarpack.la libglpk.la libplfit.la
> grep: /usr/lib/libiconv.la: No such file or directory
> sed: /usr/lib/libiconv.la: No such file or directory
> libtool: link: `/usr/lib/libiconv.la' is not a valid libtool archive
Hmmmm... this is almost the very last linking step so you are almost there. But
the fact that the compiler looks for libiconv.la is weird to say the least.

igraph surely depends on libiconv, but only indirectly. igraph requires libxml2
to be able to parse XML files (in order to load graphs stored in GraphML
format), and it is libxml2 itself that requires libiconv. When igraph is linked
dynamically (into a .dylib), it does *not* require libiconv because the OS
linker will resolve the libiconv dependency when libigraph loads libxml2. Are
you trying to compile igraph statically by any chance?

Also, since libxml2 is required only for reading GraphML files, can you try
recompiling the C core with "./configure --disable-graphml" just to see where
that leads?