Re: [igraph] how to plot a very basic MST with igraph

From: Steve Boudreault
Subject: Re: [igraph] how to plot a very basic MST with igraph
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2014 20:53:43 +0100

> Anyway, igraph is not optimal for this, then. igraph does MSTs, not EMSTs.

Ok.

To put you in the context, some of the works done in my field using MST
were done using and IDL routine.

For some reasons related to the job I have to do, I wanted to use R, and
this is why I have tried igraph in the first place.

I have to admit that, before your emails, I didn't knew that what I needed
was an EMST. Perhaps I should have pointed out that I was new to R and to
the used of minimum spanning tree.

> So you expected us to guess that you wanted an EMST, without you telling
> us? :)

Well *sorry* ... I *thought* I have explained clearly what I wanted.

I think we can close this topic : I will try to get help somewhere else,
or to use another tool.

Thank you anyway.

> On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 1:50 PM, Steve Boudreault
> <address@hidden>wrote:
>> > Maybe you want this:
>> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euclidean_minimum_spanning_tree
>> > Do you?
>> Yes, this is correct.
> Anyway, igraph is not optimal for this, then. igraph does MSTs, not
EMSTs.
> As I wrote in my very first email, you can create a full graph, set edge
weights to Euclidean distances, and then you can use
> minimum.spanning.tree() in igraph. But this is very suboptimal. It might
work if you have a couple of hundred points, maybe a couple of
thousands.
> Btw. this naive algorithm is the first one discussed at the wikipedia
page:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euclidean_minimum_spanning_tree#Algorithms_for_computing_EMSTs_in_two_dimensions
>> In the link you gave me, I see the following sentence : << [...] an
EMST
>> (Euclidean minimum spanning tree) connects a set of dots using lines
such
>> that the total length of all the lines is minimised and any dot can be
reached from any other by following the lines. >>
>> Isn't that the rule? i.e. that my objects in the RA vs DEC place are
connected such that the total length of all the lines is minimised?
> So you expected us to guess that you wanted an EMST, without you telling
us? :)
> I can add that all my objects have the same weight.
> I have no idea what you mean. You don't need to assign weights to your
objects. Please read that wikipedia page.