Re: [igraph] Drawing graph with readable labels

From: Tamás Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] Drawing graph with readable labels
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 00:36:04 +0200

Hello,

You can play around with the vertex.label.dist and vertex.label.degree
parameters in the plot() call to specify the positions and distances of the
labels from the center of the node. Of course this is feasible only if you can
afford doing it manually. I am not aware of any method that does this
automatically, although one possibility could be as follows (but I haven’t
tried it so it may or may not work in your case):

1) If you have a graph with n vertices and m edges, create a new graph with 2n
vertices and n+m edges as follows. For each node, duplicate it into a “regular
node” and a “label node”. Connect the regular nodes in exactly the same way as
your original graph, and attach the “label node” to its corresponding “regular
node” by a single edge.

2) Lay out the original graph using some layout.

3) Create a preliminary layout for the modified graph using the original graph
layout and place every label node near its corresponding regular node plus some
small noise.

4) Run the Fruchterman-Reingold layout on the modified graph and constrain the
regular nodes to stay in place -- this can be done by setting the minx, maxx,
miny and maxy parameters of the call to layout.fruchterman.reingold properly.
For extra credit, use a weights vector that assigns a larger weight to edges
connecting regular nodes with label nodes to ensure that the label nodes stay
close to their nodes.

5) Compare the position of each label node with its corresponding regular node,
calculate their angle and distance, and use these as the vertex.labe.dist and
vertex.label.degree parameters in the final plot() call.