Re: [igraph] understanding histogram output

From: Tamas Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] understanding histogram output
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2015 22:43:46 +0100

Hi,

> [    2,     3):
> (139)
> [    3,     4): ****************** (36)
> [    4,     5): *** (6)
> [    5,     6): * (3)
>
> In the first and last lines, why is the total number of items, an odd
> number, if each * represents 2 items?
We cannot print fractional stars on the console ;) Okay, in this specific case,
we could have used, say, a dot (.) in the last position to indicate a single
item, but this won't work if your numbers are higher and each * is forced to
represent, say, 6, 14 or 775 items. igraph simply takes the width of your
console and tries to figure out how many items one single star should represent
to make them correspond "roughly" to the exact numbers that you see on the
right. (That's why we put the exact numbers there).