Re: [igraph] Limiting the number of cliques

From: Lorenzo Isella
Subject: Re: [igraph] Limiting the number of cliques
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2015 21:55:02 +0200

Message: 2
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2015 11:00:09 +0200
From: Szabolcs Horv?t <address@hidden>
To: Help for igraph users <address@hidden>

Hi Lorenzo,

You didn't mention which interface of igraph you are using, and also
whether you are looking for all complete subgraphs or only maximal
cliques.

I don't believe this is possible with the Python or R interfaces.

If you use the C interface, it seems to be possible for maximal
cliques, but only if using internal (non-public) functions.

Many of the functions dealing with maximal cliques seem to be
implemented in terms of igraph_i_maximal_cliques(), which takes a
callback function argument that will be invoked for every clique
found, and can request to terminate the search.  You could use this to
keep counting cliques until a certain point and then request a stop.

If you need *all* cliques, not just maximal ones, you can try the
Cliquer library which also uses a callback function, and is a bit
faster than igraph for counting all cliques (it's much slower for
maximal ones): http://users.aalto.fi/~pat/cliquer.html  This will also
require programming in C.

Hi,
And thanks for your reply.
Well, I am working with the R bindings and my C was poor years ago
(and now poor and rusty).
I am not looking for maximal cliques, just for cliques of a certain
size, but I really hope there is a way to limit the number of results
also in the R interface.
Cheers

Lorenzo