Re: [igraph] Relation between network's clustering coefficient and densi

From: Tamas Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] Relation between network's clustering coefficient and density
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 12:18:33 +0100

> graph I calculated density and transitivity. My question is, shuld the two
> statistics be perfectly correlated in social networks?
I expect them to be highly correlated not only in social networks but
also in other types of networks. This is because ego networks have a
single focal node that is connected to every other node, creating many
potential paths of length 2. Any edge that connects two non-focal node
therefore increases density (trivially) but also closes a path of
length 2 into a triangle (thus increasing transitivity as well).