[igraph] degree centrality in 2-mode network

From: Stefan Wallaschek
Subject: [igraph] degree centrality in 2-mode network
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2017 12:27:19 +0100

Dear all,

I am working with 2-mode-network data (actors and concepts) in R with
the igraph package.
I was wondering whether I can calculate the degree centrality in the
original 2-mode network (not in a projection). After looking/googling, I
have found the following code suggestion:
(from: http://igraph.wikidot.com/r-recipes#toc8)

# Number of top and bottom nodes
top<-length(V(g)[type==FALSE])
bottom<-length(V(g)[type==TRUE])
# Number of edges
m<-ecount(g)
# Mean degree for top and bottom nodes
ktop<-m/top
kbottom<-m/bottom
# Density for bipartite network
bidens<-m/(top*bottom)

The suggested code works out and I also checked the named reference for
further information, but I couldn't find anything about the ratio of
bipartite network density. It either doesn't seem to be the 0-1 ratio of
one-mode networks or I did something wrong, because I get results about
1.0 for the 2-mode-networks?

Has anyone an idea how to deal with it/where to look at for further
information on this?

Thanks in advance!

Best wishes,
  Stefan

--
Stefan Wallaschek
Visting PhD fellow at School of Politics and International Relations (SPIRe)