Re: [iiwusynth-devel] Pitch bend, filter, sysex, LADSPA,...

From: Peter Hanappe
Subject: Re: [iiwusynth-devel] Pitch bend, filter, sysex, LADSPA,...
Date: 07 Apr 2002 02:01:02 +0200

On Sat, 2002-04-06 at 23:39, Josh Green wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-04-06 at 15:59, Peter Hanappe wrote:
> > On Sat, 2002-04-06 at 18:11, M. Nentwig wrote:
> >
> > > I have written a small perl-Tk script, that shows a couple of sliders in
> > > a window, which allow real-time control of effect parameters (chorus,
> > > reverb, overdrive,...)
> > > This is not included, but if anybody would like to try, I can make a
> > > 'bundle' (soundfont, plugins, script).
> >
> > A GUI interface would be great. I think that's what's really needed now
> > to make the synth get a wide acceptance (eye candy).
> >

> Swami? :)

Yes, Swami, off course.

But it would be nice to extend it with a compact interface with many
sliders so you can control a lot of parameters easily. Also, I'd like to
see an interface with sliders and knobs build from images so it can be
designed by a graphics designer. Call them skins if you like. People
coming from Windows and Macintosh are used to these interfaces and I
must say I sometimes like them.

I think it's not that hard to do (I did it on the MacOS, in Macromedia
Director, HTML4 + JavaScript). I just have to put myself to gtk.

BTW: I installed swami yesterday. Everything compiled fine (had to copy
ltconfig to the swami directory, also autoconf doesn't check for an
installed libsoundfont) but had some troubles when running it. I fiddled
with it a bit, doing nothing in particular, and then opened a sf2 file
after which it crashed. I didn't take the time yet to check it out in
detail.

It's about time to work on the swami+iiwusynth integration now that the
DSP part of the synth has improved a lot (thanks Markus!).

Cheers,
Peter