[iiwusynth-devel] Status of CVS and some bugs

From: Josh Green
Subject: [iiwusynth-devel] Status of CVS and some bugs
Date: 21 Apr 2002 10:10:06 -0700

I was just wondering what the current status of the iiwusynth CVS is.
Have your latest changes been committed yet, Markus?
Also. I noticed a couple bugs, and didn't know whether anyone had fixed
them yet or not.

1. If one releases a note during the attack stage of an envelope the
envelope level immediately goes to 0 (or at least thats what it sounds
like) rather than doing the release stage, which I would think would be
the right way to do things (TM). Or what?

2. The filter is still rather unstable. Especially for envelope or LFO
modulation that goes above the maximum Filter cutoff frequency. Its kind
of hard to enjoy a Swami/iiwusynth editing session with headphones when
you get a loud burst of maximum volume static in your ear :( This is the
only major thing impeding a nice enjoyable iiwusynth experience :)
Perhaps the values aren't being clipped. Is this the job of the one
using the sfloader API (Swami in this case) or should a GUI never let
the user set generators to values that would exceed the max/min values
when calculated (this would be really hard to do).

There are also some other things I was wondering about the filter. When
the release stage of the Modulation Envelope is set very low (very fast
return to 0) and the To Filter Cutoff value is set to a negative value
(ramping the FilterFC down during the attack stage), when the key is
released sharp filter pops/clicks can be heard even when the Release
stage of the volume envelope is at its lowest value (fast release).
Perhaps this is performing as it should (release stage can never be 0),
but perhaps we should consider it 0 at its lowest (default) value. This
would cause the volume envelope to stop dead, before any filter
modulation can occur.

On the Swami front. I'm currently slugging through sound font saving and
dreading writing an item paste routine. Not much really (in theory)
before its back to its Smurfy self again. Cheers!
        Josh Green