[iiwusynth-devel] Stuff

From: Josh Green
Subject: [iiwusynth-devel] Stuff
Date: 19 Sep 2002 18:33:46 -0700

Wow, things have been quiet lately. Well I had a couple things that I
thought would be nice to discuss..

We were discussing the lack of an initialPitch generator for use with
modulators a while back. It occured to me that the Fine Tune pitch
generator could be used. In the spec it is supposed to be limited to -99
to 99 cents. We could in fact use a much larger range with modulators
without breaking the format.
2^15 = 32768, 32768 cents = 327.68 semitones which is more than enough
to cover the MIDI note range :) What do you think about making this the
default generator for the pitch bender (Pitch Bender -> Fine Tune) which
could then be overridden.

I found a bug with iiwusynth and Coarse sample loop start :) Causes
segfault and other weired crap. I'm not really sure why anyone would
want to use this, except maybe in conjunction with the loop start offset
(which by the way doesn't seem to have the expected effect, it sounds
like it is just changing the pitch, not the actual loop point). Does
anyone know what the status is of real time loop setting? It would be
cool to add this to Swami.

Also, I realized that my autoconf detection of iiwusynth is less than
perfect as I wasn't determining the version. When I tried to figure out
how to get it I realized there is no version numbers in the public
header. Perhaps this should be added for the next release?

Anyways. Hope all is well. I'm still in the midst of yet another large
Swami overhaul, which is one of the reasons why not much has been
implemented as far as features. Maybe this time I'll get the API right
:) Keep in touch.
        Josh Green