velvet bedroom

From: Micky Marquez
Subject: velvet bedroom
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 14:37:11 -1200

Only in the nineteenth century was biography fully grown andhugely prolific.
That is why I have always been soproud to be called highbrow. Will you not, sir, read apronouncement of an authoritative nature from Broadcasting House? Forster does, but he gives it us by choosing a very few facts andthose of a highly relevant kind.
Moores novels are the making of his memoirs. The omnibus, the villa, thesuburban residence, are an essential part of his design.
Forster to provide a refuge from this misery, an escape from thismeanness.
The house is still the house of the Britishmiddle classes.
These middlebrows pat balls about;they poke their bats and muff their catches at cricket. As it is, the strength of his blow is dissipated.
These middlebrows pat balls about;they poke their bats and muff their catches at cricket. These arethe villains and heroes of much of his writing.
It is a relief, for atime, to be beyond the influence of Cambridge.
The divorce law and the poorlaw come in for little of his attention.
That is why, if I could be more of ahighbrow I would. One slim volume indeed contains all that he has allowed himself of purefantasy. We must learn to build the rainbow bridge that shouldconnect the prose in us with the passion.
We highbrows may be smart,or we may be shabby; but we never have the right thing to wear. All these are things I do not knowfor myself. But hisvision is of a peculiar kind and his message of an elusive nature.
We feel that he is anuneasy truant in fairyland.
These arethe villains and heroes of much of his writing.
And that, to tell the truth, is no easy question to answer. Thenagain, I continue, how can you let the middlebrows teach you how towrite?
The divorce law and the poorlaw come in for little of his attention. It deepens, it becomes moreinsistent as time passes.
Again the comedy is exquisite and theobservation faultless.
And it is not well written; nor is itbadly written.
Omnibuses driveto Heaven; Pan is heard in the brushwood; girls turn into trees. And it is not well written; nor is itbadly written. Interest in our selves and in other peoples selves is a latedevelopment of the human mind.
Something of the same problem lies before Mr.
They are not highbrows, whosebrows are high; nor lowbrows, whose brows are low.
The social historian will find his booksfull of illuminating information.
FORSTERIThere are many reasons which should prevent one from criticizing the workof contemporaries. We are neither roused nor puzzled; we donot have to ask ourselves, What does this mean?
These middlebrows pat balls about;they poke their bats and muff their catches at cricket.