knowingly perpetrate

From: Matty Craig
Subject: knowingly perpetrate
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 15:59:34 +0800

Instead, the old inventor sat therestudying me intently for several minutes. Shortly after hisdeparture, Rapas got up.
Uldak, one ofUr Jans men, was killed the last night I saw you, as you will recall.
If you fail me, Vandor, you shall die such a death as only themind of Fal Sivas can conceive. It is just as well that I got out tonight before you came, I said.
Well, it is strange, he said; Fal Sivas was friendly enough before Itook you there. Fal Sivas looked up at me from beneath lowering brows. Now you will never leave this terrible place.
But at last, when I had about given him up, he came.
When Fal Sivas dies, his secretsdie with him.
I should find a way to kill him, even if I had to descend to thedagger or poison.
The next morning, immediately after breakfast, Fal Sivas sent for me. Of course, its vision and its mentalfunctioning are purely mechanical but none the less accurate.
At that, he came forth slowly, his long sword in his hand.
THE FACE IN THE DOORWAYNonchalance is a corollary of poise. I need such a man as you, he said, if I could only find someone whomI might trust. It will travel routes that no man or ship has evertraveled. I watched her as she worked, noticing her shapely hands and gracefulfingers.
Well, it is strange, he said; Fal Sivas was friendly enough before Itook you there. I knew that he was mean and ignorant and at heart a traitor. I thought that if I could causeit to do that, I could cause it to do anything that Fal Sivas could.
I will wait for him, I said, and I went to the table The Rat and Iusually occupied. I should find a way to kill him, even if I had to descend to thedagger or poison.
Together we walked out into the avenue and started in the direction ofthe House of Fal Sivas. It is just as well that I got out tonight before you came, I said.
Your people, I asked, are they still living?
I am seldom wrong, he continued musingly.
But we will put anend to that as soon as he returns. But now he had relaxed, and his tone was a littlebantering.
If it will not obey you, it is reasonably safe to assume that it willobey no one but me.
The mechanicalmind that I have installed in the ship responds to thought waves.