info-chinese

[Info-chinese] grudging blockbuster

From: Margaret Workman
Subject: [Info-chinese] grudging blockbuster
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 13:58:57 +0200

When we turned again to business, there was no Abd el Kader.
There the crowd halted, and I crawled on with Fahad.
Abd el Kader was gone up to theenemy, with information of our plans and strength.
She may have been a gipsy, for nothing followed.
Our speed and camel-sticks made life miserable for the last menand camels. This wasGhadir el Abyadh, recommended by Mifleh as our ambush. Adhub said not a word, but leaped out of the gully, and raceddownhill.
It was the edge of theYarmuk gorge, and the bridge lay just under us to the right. My eyes wereupon a notable red camel, perhaps a seven-year-old, under a Sirhani inthe second line.
The Turks, if theytook the most reasonable precautions, would trap us at the bridge. Mifleh urged his reluctantcamel into a trot. When the enemy began to return our fire, I found myself much betweenthe two.
The enginepanted slower and slower, and I thought every moment that it wouldbreak down. Adhub said not a word, but leaped out of the gully, and raceddownhill.
It was mostinconveniently close, but the Sukhur knew no better place. Unhappily my rest time was spoiled by a bed of justice. Its rider had it up in a momentand trotted forward.
This wasGhadir el Abyadh, recommended by Mifleh as our ambush. The first ten trucks were open trucks, crowded with troops. Together they lifted the inert figure on to the pommel, and returned.
A sharp metalliccontact from the night showed we were under the telegraph line toMezerib.
To the clear-sighted, failure was the only goal. They sent down to say it was coming veryslowly, and was an enormously long train.
Mifleh went back to his mare, mounted, and took her down behind a spur. When we had made it up the original despondency was half forgotten.
There could be no rest-houses for revolt, no dividend of joypaid out.
The Turks had just filled its country with hundreds ofmilitary wood-cutters.
We hastened back to the cairnwhere the Serahin were scrambling on their camels.
At once there was uproar, the Serahin attacking mefuriously, the Beni Sakhr defending.
He threw himself off, whilewe reined up beside him on this grassy platform by a tumbled cairn.
Our speed and camel-sticks made life miserable for the last menand camels. I rode back down the ranksand told them to press forward faster. Two of my men developed sudden illnesses, whichmade them feel unable to ride with us. If I sat still, there might bejust a hope of my being ignored as a casual Bedouin. Ahmed slipped off to get acquainted withher owner. Abd el Kader and his servants mountedtheir mares, as sign that the fighting line was near.