info-gne

Re: [Info-gnupedia]my 1st translation for gnupedia

From: Oleg Izyumenko
Subject: Re: [Info-gnupedia]my 1st translation for gnupedia
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 16:24:06 +0300

Hello Heiko and everyone!

Heiko Andresen wrote:

> I did my first translation for the Gnupedia project:
>
> Under http://www.geocities.com/heiko.andresen/Gnupedia/Esperanto.html is the
> german translation of Oleg's article about Esperanto available. More to come

Well, thank you, Heiko. Though I'd prefer if someone first contacted
_me_ before doing the translation of my articles. Ever heard of
netiquette? Lately I've got a couple of messages from people who think
that GNU means "absolutely free" and "copycat open". Well, it's not!
<surprise, surprise!>

There's a civil manner of offering translation services... And the very
first step is: _CONTACT THE AUTHOR!_ There's more than this, like:
consult with the author of the original article, verify your translation
with the author, keep all the credits and so on, but now we talk about
the basics here. Ask the author's permission before you're going to
alter the text, and try to get his opinion. Don't get me wrong, I'm not
being rude. I'm sure I'd _LOVE_ your translation... if you made it in
the civil manner (see above).

For example, one kind lady - Astrid Schmitt - contacted me and offered
her help with translating my articles into German. After we negotiated
all the changes that we'd have to make in the German version, the work
began. She made a great translation of my humble attempts to write the
encyclopedia's articles, and I'm _very_ grateful for her time and
efforts! Very soon these articles will be put online, I'll let you all
know. Meanwhile, if anyone's willing to make translations of "Esperanto"
and "Zamenhof L. L" articles into languages other than German, please
contact me. I'm sure this work will be a fruitful one! ;)

Heiko, I think you may keep this version, but the only approved by the
author German versions of the articles are those written by Astrid.
Everyone's free to copy and distribute my articles in English and
authorised translated versions.

I'm not challenging the principles of GNU license, I just want the
process of creating new encyclopedia be enjoyable and beneficial for
all. That means we have to make it with reciprocal respect and with
civil manners. After all, we _don't_have_ to be polite in real- or
cyber-life, but it works the best when we are! ;)

The best regards!

Oleg