info-gne

Re: [Info-gnupedia]my 1st translation for gnupedia

From: Oleg Izyumenko
Subject: Re: [Info-gnupedia]my 1st translation for gnupedia
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 19:55:57 +0300

Heiko Andresen wrote:

> Third, you're right that it's a civil manner to contact the author before
> publishing a translated article - blame on me, but from my point of view I
> went the right way, because I anounced it only to the mailinglist with the
> awareness you'll read it.

Ok, I got your point.

> As I cannot know if you speak german I didn't think it were up to you who can
> check the correctness of my translation.

I don't speak German, but I have enough means to be able to check the
text for mistakes. I also can ask my friends to translate the text for
me.

> I didn't see the necessity to do so because it should be the community who
> should control the correctness.

I see, though I still would like to be the first one who check the
translated versions of my articles. As to articles written by other
people - it's up to them. In fact I found some "bugs" on your pages. If
it's not too difficult for you, I'd like to ask you to correct them.
Here're the lists:

* Article "Zamenhof, L. L.":

1) The word "GNUPedia" in the first line must be a link to
http://www.gnu.org/encyclopedia/
2) You put down the information about Bialystok being a part of Russian
Empire. This information is critical to understanding the early life of
Dr. Zamenhof and the ethnic background of his hometown. Please, bring it
back.
3) You wrote that Zamenhof graduated from the University in 1985.
Please, correct it for 1885.
4) I made one stupid typo when I wrote that the book "Lingvo internacia"
was published in 1987, and you copied it. Correct it for 1887.
5) There're some places in the article where you wrote "Zamhof" instead
of "Zamenhof". Now this is intolerable! Please, check that all the
"Zamenhof" entries have correct form.

* Both articles:

1) File names for the articles should be Esperanto_de.html and
Zamenhof_de.html. It's not my caprise - we have to stick to this
standard to keep multilingual versions of the same article in one
directory. If you're curious about the other languages' suffixes,
they're: "it" for Italian, "fr" for French, "es" for Spanish, "pt" for
Portuguese. They were proposed by GNUPedia's creators (as I could see
from their web-pages), and there will be more suffixes in the future.
2) I don't speak German, so the line "Please send comments on this
article to address@hidden" in German version should look like
"Please send
comments on this article (in English, Esperanto, or Russian) to
address@hidden" (only in German language, of course). Something
like "Kommentare (in Englisch, Esperanto oder Russisch) zu diesem
Artikel bitte an: address@hidden"
3) Could you, please, upload the same articles in English to your site
(to the same directory) for providing the access to this information for
English-speaking visitors? If you can do that, please let me know, and
I'll send you both articles in English.

Please send me both articles for approval before putting them online.

Thank you in advance! :)

> Of course that's the better way, but to complete the workflow there should be
> a short message "... I'm working on it ..." that I was missing (this morning
> I double-checked my mail before I started the translation). I think the
> entry-system should provide such a way of coordination in the future.

I agree. As to me - I'll let you, people, know who makes what
translation in the future (hopefully someone _will_ want to make more
translations! ;) )

> Oleg, I'm not fixed on my version. If Astrid made a better job -
> congratulations and my files go to /dev/null

*LoL* Now you SHOULDN'T do that! There can't be one _best_ translation
of anything. I'm sure that _every_ German translation of Shakespeare's
"Romeo and Juliet" is enjoyable in its own way, and so there's no need
to keep only _one_ version of it! ;)  /and no, guys, I DON'T compare
myself to Shakespeare! *LoL*/

All the best!

Oleg