info-gne

RE: [Info-gnupedia]GNU vs Nu

From: Chad Mawson
Subject: RE: [Info-gnupedia]GNU vs Nu
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 15:40:40 -0600

One of the originators of the Nupedia project (Jimmy Wales) registered
www.gnupedia.org when that project started some time in the past.  If I
remember correctly he said he did that to prevent the confusion of the two
projects, should GNU ever start one.  Well, now it's happened and I don't
know if he will relenquish gnupedia.org to the GNU.

I'm not sure that it is an issue at this point because the title of the GNU
Encyclopedia project has changed to GNE.  And it does stand fro GNE's Not an
Encyclopedia.

Dan Geiser referred to it as "To me GNE is, at it's core, a large-scale
Internet-based Document Management System.  But instead of documents I would
call the items that GNE handles resources."

Mike Warren wrote "To clarify: GNE intends to be a repository of freely
available (that
is, FDL-licensed) written work. You may write anything you like."

So, I know that probably doesn't make it clear, but that's some information
I have gleaned from the [Bug-Gnupedia] listserv.

Chad Mawson
address@hidden