info-gne

[Info-gne] assoc. feign

From: Mat Sloan
Subject: [Info-gne] assoc. feign
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 18:18:07 -0200

Pain of the slightest had been my obsession and secret terror, from aboy. He wasborn in Boreida, and while young had suffered from the civil power forhis impiety.
I needed hard riders and hard livers; men proudof themselves, and without family.
There was a sentry outside, and aglimpse of others lolling in the dark entry.
When, however, wedid, they took a graver view, and sent him under custody to Damascus.
The Beduincaught the Turks moving, and cut up the hindmost battalion.
His long black hair was carefully braided into three shining plaitsdown each cheek. The night passed in these mutual conversations.
His own adventures had been unprofitable.
HE SENT ME BACK AT ONCE TO FEISAL WITH NEW POWERS ANDDUTIES.
They asked who Iwas: volunteering that they were Jazi Howietat.
We walked downthe steeper portions of the pass, and then stumbled along Wadi Hafira. We began tofear that the idol might betray a frailty. His mouth wassensual, loose, wet; and gave him a good-humoured, half cynicalexpression. He turned, stared at me, andsaid very slowly You are a liar. They mighthave entered it safely, had there been point in doing so. It was momentlybetter than more flogging.
We shook him off at last and turned away. We walked downthe steeper portions of the pass, and then stumbled along Wadi Hafira.
He turned, stared at me, andsaid very slowly You are a liar. Sowe battened on our ill reputation, which was an ungenerous stratagem,but the easiest.
Nextmorning he made a second progress through the district. There was one which went on riding wisely, sparingor helping every pace of the wearied camel.
He told us the rest of the history ofthe Emir Abd el Kader, the Algerian.