info-gnu-chess

RE: Question about version 5.05.

From: Sternbach, William [IT]
Subject: RE: Question about version 5.05.
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 13:49:04 -0500

Simon,

I find alot of Chess programs easy to beat,
so my main request is to make the program more strong
and more difficult to beat.

I hope its ok if I ask you what type of computer you have?

I have a 1.5 year old Compaq Deskpro Intel Pentium III 733 MHZ PC
(with fast 133 MHZ bus and memory) with 384 MB of RAM and a 9.5 Gig hard
drive
running Windows 2000 Professional.

Nowadays, you can buy an Intel Pentium 4 PC with 2.4 GHZ speed with 512MB
RAM
and 80 Gig hard drive for about $1,000 U.S.

So my "Intel Pentium III 733 MHZ" PC is quite slow compared to the latest
computers.
However, I find my PC is still lightening fast for what I use it for.
(Much faster than my old Compaq Pentium I 166MHZ PC).

If I were a major member of the chess programming team for gnu chess,
my main consideration would be to make gnuchess play as strong a game of
chess as possible, possibly in the same category as deeper blue
(although this goal may not be achievable).

I find gnuchess at poly 8 a very good opponent, but I need to increase it to
Poly 11
in order for it to be impossible for me to beat.

Since I have 384 MB of Ram,
Please give me instructions on how to increase the hash table or make any
other
adjustments to book size to increase the strength of the computer opponent.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have.

- Bill