info-gnu

GNU.FREE 1.6 is now available.

From: Jason Kitcat
Subject: GNU.FREE 1.6 is now available.
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 12:37:19 +0100

Hi all,

We are very proud to announce the release GNU.FREE version 1.6 which offers the following exciting new features and changes:

+ Internationalisation support has been added the FreeClient with 9 languages now available. + Logs have tamper resistance due to a message digest system. Using FreeTest the administrator can check to see which line of the logs tampering began at. + The central data structures have been improved to remove large amounts of redundant and/or repeated code. + GNU.FREE now has out of the box support for PostgeSQL and MySQL, with the installer providing all the setup you need to talk to them. + FreeInstall now supports multiple ports so that RTServer and ERServer can be run on the same physical machine - for test purposes. + Test Ballots can now be created. These are used to prove that voting XXXX actually registers XXXX in the RTServer. This system is blind until the final step to stop a test vote being registered as a real vote. + The GNU.FREE Testing Suite (FreeTest) has been massively updated to support stress testing with the new security architectures developed over the last few versions. It also generates test data for importing into the servers. + Menus have been added to the server interfaces making regular use more streamlined. + The log console display has been vastly improved with the inclusion of auto-scrolling, word-wrap and the long awaited return of colour! + Automated Electoral Roll data import has been implemented. Data is read in the CSV format.

Main download sites:
- http://www.free-project.org/download/
- ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/free/

A big thank you to the testers, translators, users and coders who contributed. We'd also like to thank the Free Software Foundation and FreeDevelopers for their support. We've got some great ideas for the next version so stick with us...

All the best,
Jason

+++ The FREE e-democracy project aims to create secure, private, scalable and reliable non-partisan Internet Voting software protected by the GNU GPL. This software is GNU.FREE and is written in Java.

+++ Additionally the project advocates the Free Software paradigm and is supported by the Free Software Foundation as part of their GNU project.

+++ We evangelise the use of technology to strengthen democracy within a holistic understanding of the current malaise.

This email is (c)2001 the FREE e-democracy project (http://www.free-project.org). Verbatim copying and distribution of this entire email is permitted in any medium, provided this notice is preserved.