info-gnu

Media Goblin 0.1.0 is out!

From: Deborah Nicholson
Subject: Media Goblin 0.1.0 is out!
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 11:21:14 -0500

Media Goblin is a GNU project and a brand new media hosting service that is being built for federation. We believe that a free decentralized web is critical to the health of the internet. This is our Alpha 0.1.0 release announcement.

So, what's new for 0.1.0?  We've completely redone the main website (http://mediagoblin.org/) We even have a new tour page! (http://mediagoblin.org/pages/tour.html) Thanks so much to Jef van Schendel for making our website a thing of beauty (and to Alex Camelio for adding the cute icons on the frontpage). Go ahead and check it out! Seriously, we'll be right here when you return.

You may find it invigorating to look at our Alpha goals (http://mediagoblin.org/news/goals-for-our-first-alpha-release.html) to see how far we've come. While there are a few things we didn't get to (captchas and featured works) there are many more big ideas that we were able to turn into reality. We have a sophisticated "unframework" which is working beautifully for our needs. We have a great, consistent (and dare I say suave?) theme. We have an abstracted storage system which already is being used to interface with OpenStack's Swift storage system. Comments and tagging are working. We're also well on our way toward supporting multiple media types. We are living the dream and the reality is even better than we'd expected. Welcome to our alpha release!

Thanks to all our contributors! Aaron Williamson, Alejandro Villanueva, Alex Camelio, Caleb Forbes Davis V, Christopher Allan Webber, Deb Nicholson, Elrond of Samba TNG, Jef van Schendel, Jim Campbell, Joar Wandborg, Nathan Yergler, Sam Kleinman, Shawn Khan, Thorsten Wilms, Will Kahn-Greene... this month's release wouldn't have happened without your help!

What's around the corner? For one thing, video is nearing usability, (http://mediagoblin.org/images/tour/sintel_video.png) and the exciting work on federation is in planning. We've got lots of small bugs for folks who are new to python, larger tasks for folks who want to immerse themselves in the challenge of federation and we are actively seeking opinionated web users to give us feedback on our test site. Join us on the journey! (http://mediagoblin.org/pages/join.html)

Got questions? Email address@hidden or visit us on freenode.net in #mediagoblin (We're very friendly!)
Cheers,
The MediaGoblin Team