info-gnuprologjava

Re: [Info-gnuprologjava] gnuprologjava patch: fixes for is_list

From: Michiel Hendriks
Subject: Re: [Info-gnuprologjava] gnuprologjava patch: fixes for is_list
Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 22:24:13 +0200

On Tue, May 08, 2012 at 07:31:00PM +0100, Paul Singleton wrote:
> On 07/05/2012 22:22, Michiel Hendriks wrote:
>
> >Small note to the patch, use TermConstants.emptyListAtom.equals(lst)
> >rather than the instance check.
>
> Is that just good practice, or is there some way we could get two
> distinct instances of the "empty list" atom?  AtomTerm seems
> designed to ensure that never happens, but maybe we shouldn't rely
> on it...

It's mostly good practice. It makes the code more readable, but also
makes it future proof.

For example through reflection you would be able to create an instance
of AtomTerm that is equal to TermConstants.emptyListAtom, but is not the
same instance.

--
Michiel "elmuerte" Hendriks             address@hidden
                                              http://elmuerte.com