Question / feature request (?)

From: Steve Linberg
Subject: Question / feature request (?)
Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 01:19:16 GMT

Greetings, gnus hackers.

Is there a way to make gnus maintain a reasonable cache of killed
article numbers, and automatically kill any child of a killed article?

I read a group that is very heavy with trolls, and also (sadly) with
idiots who feed them.  My killfile is huge already, but it doesn't
handle the problem of trolls starting threads with non-obvious subject
lines, and the cascade of dummies who respond to them.  I'd practically
have to killfile the entire group to get around this, but some of the
people who feed the trolls have insightful things to say when they're
not doing so, and I'd rather not kf them too.

I'd like to be able to just kill all descendents of a killfiled post, in
other words, obviously subject to a reasonable limit of cached article
numbers.  For my specific purposes, a week's worth - maybe a thousand or
two - would probably be sufficient.

Is this possible?  Has anybody done it?  I'm not an elisp warrior, and
this feels like a somewhat daunting "hello, world" to get started in
elisp with.

TIA for any tips, dope-slaps, or code.