Error opening input file

From: Max Quordlepleen
Subject: Error opening input file
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 22:13:59 +1200

A google turned up an old thread of mine about this, from W2K. Now it's
happening in Mandrake 10. Here was the reply that worked last time:
<847k6086mm.fsf@slowfox.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>
Did you make a sanity check that Emacs is finding the right files?  If
you type C-x C-f ~/.gnus RET (with forward slash and tilde) then you
should see your .gnus file, and similar with C-x C-f ~/.authinfo RET.
I have verified that both .gnus and .authinfo are in the right place in my
Mandrake setup, but I still get "error opening input file". What am I doing
wrong?