Re: Not reading active file

From: Paulo Jorge Matos
Subject: Re: Not reading active file
Date: 27 May 2004 07:12:34 -0700

Joel Reicher <joel@panacea.null.org> wrote in message
news:<rn7juynyzr.fsf@cindy.panacea.null.org>...
> Paulo Jorge Matos <pocm@mega.ist.utl.pt> writes:
>
> > ;; This variable just tells us we want Gnus to check new groups on start
> > ;; up when querying server.
> > (setq gnus-check-new-newsgroups 'ask-server)
>
> This means that Gnus will avoid reading the complete active file to
> determine new newsgroups.

But that's what I should have right, or is there a better option?

> > When it starts it says that it's reading active file from news.netvisao.pt
> > vvia nntp, however, not even a byte gets in the computer. It seems that it
> > is not asking for any file.
>
> Check the value of gnus-read-active-file.

It's 'some.

> Why do you want the active file read?

I though it had to read it. Anyway, I'm having some problems.
I've changed my gnus file so that nnimap is my primary backend so it
is in the gnus-select-method and nntp is in the
gnus-secondary-select-method. Now gnus opens up fast.

My email from nnimap is put in a folder called INBOX. I'd like it to
go under a folder called mail.mega, how can I do that?

Another problem is I cannot subscribe to newsgroups just putting its
name there. If I try U gnu.emacs.gnus it just says there is no such
group. If I press A A to show the active file I get something as
follows (only the first 2 lines, I'll post the whole active file if
you wish heh ;))):
       *: nntp+Netvisao:0.test
       *: nntp+Netvisao:0000.sil.is.a.tosser

So to subscribe I have to type all that. :-/ Something like
nntp+Netvisao:gnu.emacs.gnus.
That's a mess, can't I remove that prefix?

Cheers,

Paulo Matos