Re: Couple of (configuration?) problems.

From: Dirk Gerrits
Subject: Re: Couple of (configuration?) problems.
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 07:28:34 GMT

Neil Woods <cnw+usenet@pobox.com> writes:

> If I understand you correctly, I'm not sure that this is entirely
> straightforward with Gnus. From the Gnus manual:
>
> ,----[ (info "(gnus)Changing Servers") ]
> |    Article numbers are not (in any way) kept synchronized between
> | different NNTP servers, and the only way Gnus keeps track of what
> | articles you have read is by keeping track of article numbers.  So when
> | you change `gnus-select-method', your `.newsrc' file becomes worthless.
> `----
>
> However, the above section does also include hints on how to achieve
> the above.

Thanks for the info.  You understood me correctly, but I'm afraid it
won't help me that much: "Gnus provides a few functions to attempt to
translate a `.newsrc' file from one server to another.  They all have
one thing in common--they take a looong time to run.  You don't want to
use these functions more than absolutely necessary."  Oh well, I'll just
read news from my home, and not from university.  It's not a terribly
big problem.

Regards,

Dirk Gerrits