Re: Sending mail via Gnus if Gnus is not running (?)

From: Floyd L. Davidson
Subject: Re: Sending mail via Gnus if Gnus is not running (?)
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 19:22:57 -0900

William F Hammond <hammond@csc.albany.edu> wrote:
>"Tassilo Horn" <heimdall@uni-koblenz.de> writes:
>
>>> I think that Gnus' facility for sending email (the one I get if I hit
>>> the m key) is much nicer than the Emacs default via M-x mail - I can
>>> attach files, non-ASCII characters like umlauts are taken care of, and
>>> so on. However, I'm wondering how to access this functionality while
>>> Gnus is not running. Is it possible to get this from outside of Gnus
>>> somehow?
>>
>> M-x gnus-msg-mail
>
>How can this function be used with GNU Emacs from a shell script?
>(Through google I found how it can be done via xemacs's "gnuclient";
>is there something like that?)

>From a shell script will be difficult if by that you mean a batch
mode script.  It could be done, but just the thought of writing the
code to do it makes my head spin...

But if you mean is it possible to call that functionality up for
interactive use, it is!  I use XEmacs, so my examples will be
for that, but it should work equally well with GNU's Emacs.

You of course must have the Gnus package installed and configured.
Then you can do

       xemacs -f gnus-msg-mail

And XEmacs will come up in a buffer just as if you had been in
XEmacs and executed M-x gnus-msg-mail.

If you have an xemacs server running (it has executed gnuserv-start),
you can do the same using gnuclient,

       gnuclient -f gnus-msg-mail

--
FloydL. Davidson           <http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson>